Woodstock

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Woodstock is not really a reminiscence for me because I didn't go, but it may be for some of you, and I've certainly watched a lot of the film that was made there, repeatedly.

I did, however, almost go. Three of us discussed going to Woodstock because we were going to go somewhere, and that surely sounded interesting. Since we didn't have tickets and considered the possibility that we'd travel there and not even be able to get in, we decided to spend $30 on a Rambler and head for California instead.

Nevertheless, Woodstock was a significant moment for many baby boomers. In fact, I read that no fewer than five million people have fond memories of having participated in Woodstock, although fewer than a tenth of that number was actually there.

Of the following groups and musicians, which four were not at Yasgur's farm in Bethel, New York, during those three days in August of 1969?
    • Richie Havens
    • Country Joe & The Fish
    • Joan Baez
    • Arlo Guthrie
    • Joni Mitchell
    • Janis Joplin
    • The Who
    • The Byrds
    • Jefferson Airplane
    • Joe Cocker
    • The Band
    • Bob Dylan
    • Sha-Na-Na
    • The Grateful Dead
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Eric Clapton
    Which was the first group or artist to perform?

Who wrote the song "Woodstock," which commemorated the event?
    Who made it a commercial hit?

Marie Mallery likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I (of course) remember hearing about Woodstock; but by then I was married, and the mother of two children and lived in Washington State. Going there would not have even been a possibility, even had I been so inclined.
    At that time all of the Hippie movement, and war protests, free love, smoking pot, (just the whole culture of the day) was so far removed from my lifestyle, that I didn't even really pay any attention to the whole event.

I regognise some of the names that you mentioned, Ken; but I have no clue which ones were at Woodstock and which ones weren't there.
    I remember that folk music was enjoying a lot of popularity at that time, too, and i was listening to that more than some of the rock musicians of the day.
    One of the most well-known of the folk music singers had to be The Kingston Trio, and i enjoyed their songs, as well as Peter, Paul, and Mary, and some of Arlo Guthrie and Joan Baez' songs.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]and now here we are today-wow

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How Charles Schulz finally named that bird Woodstock after the 1969 music festival
    [​IMG]

"Ever since the early ’50s beginnings of “Peanuts,” creator Charles Schulz feathered his beloved comic strip with anonymous birds that popped in with mischievous, chirping whimsy. Yet it was two decades until a winged “Peanuts” creature finally got a name, becoming a fully nested character."

"On June 22, 1970, Schulz officially christened Snoopy’s little yellow friend Woodstock, naming him for the massive counterculture music festival that was staged 54 years ago on the farm in Bethel, New York."

"Schulz was not particularly a fan of rock music – his record collection leaned toward classical and country-western – yet Life magazine’s coverage of the event caught his eye. The Minnesota-born cartoonist lived in the Bay Area, which had been the locus of the “Summer of Love” a couple of years before, but the tumultuous decade was mostly reflected only glancingly in the strip, through the mostly warm and fuzzy filter of situational humor."

"Yet something about that word, amid the generational rise of a new youth culture, rather fascinated Schulz."

“I can see him saying: ‘That sounds like a bird species name,’ ” Benjamin Clark, curator of the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, California, says of choosing Woodstock. READ MORE

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I know that the song "Woodstock" was performed by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, but do not know which of them composed it. If I had to guess, I'd say it was Crosby & Stills. (I hope Neil Young will remember, a southern man don't need him around, anyhow.)

Regarding the rest of the stuff...I have no idea. Nor do I have any memories of the event. I was only 15 years old at the time.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm trying to figure out what's on the woman's mouth (wearing blue)???

I was not even aware of Woodstock until years later. Didn't go; didn't consider going.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Joni Mitchell wrote Woodstock. She did not attend.

9. John Brunner

After I answered wrong, I read that she was dating Graham Nash at the time (who did attend), and she wrote the song from Graham's account of the event. And after I looked it up, I recalled her [original] version. My ex was a HUGE Joni Mitchell and Steven Stills freak. HUGE.

Don Alaska and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. John Brunner

I wondered about that, too. I put it in an app and zoomed in. It looks like she's got something in her mouth, but the res is insufficient to figure out what. It is distracting.

11. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

There's a fairly long interview with Joni Mitchell on YouTube explaining why she didn't get to go to Woodstock. I think it was a conflict between a TV appearance at the same time.

She seems to lament not going, but believes the song may have portrayed the event in a better light because she didn't go. I think it was more romantic and glamourous than if you were actually there. Didn't it rain a lot?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I read that she had a conflict, but don't recall what it was.

I think Woodstock was a 4 day mud fest (rain before and during) with no food or sanitation. I just read that the local Air Force base air-lifted out the performers. I can't imagine. Maybe staying stoned was the best survival option.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I was in the Navy when Woodstock happened. My ship had got back into San Diego Naval Station from WestPac Cruise (Vietnam) and were getting ready to head up to Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco. At this time, I can't remember if I knew anything about Woodstock happening. I was 20 years old.

But, today, have a DVD video of part of Woodstock. Some of the music/musicians we really like are: Santana, who had the youngest musician/drummer at Woodstock. CCR when John Fogerty was their Lead Singer. Sly and the Family Stone and Jefferson Airplane. Also remember Country Joe and the Fish and his song about Vietnam. Didn't like it at all, but Vietnam was going on at the time. We have Santana's Greatest Hits, along with a few songs from Sly and Jefferson Airplane.

Now, the stunner: My wife told me that years ago her and her girlfriend were someplace where Carlos Santana showed up and he asked my wife out. She said "no thank you" and that ended that.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't like that this is the song they are known for, and not some of the really good stuff they also did. I didn't mind that song but it wasn't their best stuff.

15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

When the "Woodstock" movie came to our (foreign country) base theater, the Commander tried everything he could to prevent it being shown. First, the film was "lost". After it was "found", there were technical difficulties. Then the theater had "electrical problems", which necessitated closing down for three days.

Finally, it got its week-long run. Sold out every night for all three showings (the midnight show was especially popular among the rowdy and alcohol-fueled guys who had just gotten off the swing shift). People were seeing it 3-4-5 times.

He wouldn't allow the movie poster to be shown, though. Just a brown paper poster with "Woodstock" hand-lettered on it.

Some people.......