Working On Any Projects Today?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 23, 2016.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We're forecast for a long string of low-teens overnight temps (pretty chilly for us), so I finally drug out the 1" foam insulation sheets I've had in my garage and built an insulating box to put in the attic over the folding stairs. That end of the hallways is always chilly in the winter, and the Infra-Red gun confirmed it. I don't think the heat escapes up there, I think the chilly air is dropping into the house...or logic would dictate both, huh?

The project was complicated a little bit because whoever lay the attic flooring did not trim where it overlapped the attic opening by a couple of inches, so I cut off the excess to give me a clear area for the box to fit in. The construction of the box was pretty straight-forward, although 1" insulating foam does not cut cleanly with a utility knife (I should have used a coping saw), but it's good enough...I put the cut side up top where the tape covers the seams. I stuck extra-wide weatherstripping on the frame for the box to sit on top of, to seal the seams and small gaps in the frame.

I can't wait until it gets cold tonight so I can get out my IR gun and see if this helps. I'd test it now, but since the stairs were down for so long and I was in & out of the house all morning with the outdoor temps falling since midnight (and flurries & light sleet all chilly day), the indoor temp dropped to 64°. It felt warm enough whenever I would come inside from the damp chilly, so I didn't even notice until I was finished. I'm gonna have to wait until the place warms up and there's actually a differential (or not) to measure.

If nothing else, I at least got those foam sheets out from underfoot.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Tony Page and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, John, trying to, with a new iphone camera app, use manual controls to capture on-tv action pictures (rodeo). The app is called Moment. My iPhone 12 camera is nice, but the controls are automatic. There is no control over shutter speed, ISO and white balance. The app has all three. A person can't take action photos without a high shutter speed. I've tried it and the pictures came out blurry. Taking video of something on tv, with the 12, doesn't come out to good either. So, for tonight's rodeo, I'll also have our Canon PowerShot SX530 set up on a tripod to try and get some short video clips of action and use the recommended shutter speed, ISO and white balance on the iPhone to get action shots.

Still pictures, taken with the iPhone 12 from the tv, seem to come out fine.

Tony Page and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

Why don't you record the programs and then use software to extract the frames? Check out this post where I extracted frames from the gif of an undersea volcano. The original gif is in my preceding post.

You can get free software to do that, and you'll have the actual frame of the transmission instead of a photograph of a tv screen. I don't understand why you would not just use modern recording technology.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Because I upload pictures to the desktop, edit (not videos though) and then put on a USB.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

Sure, I get that. But don't you have any equipment that records from the TV onto a media that you can load onto your computer? I'm just asking out of curiosity...I'm still on antenna tv. I have no idea what Roku and other devices can and cannot do, but Record Now/Watch Later has got to be on some internal media you could access. Even if you had to buy an external hard drive to dump the stuff to, they're certainly cheap enough.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. John Brunner

@Cody Fousnaugh So which Moment app did you download (Grain, Pro Camera, or RTRO)? I went on their website and they have a few different apps for iPhones (in addition to a bunch of neat camera stuff.) I wouldn't mind upgrading the camera capabilities of my iPhone...the pics don't seem to be of as good of a quality as my Droid.

Here's a link to one article on how to record your television on your laptop. This link is on the website of the video editing software that I use. I ended up getting the pay version. I cannot recall if the free version leaves a watermark (like a QR Code) on the pics/video or not...that's likely why I paid for the full version. In any event, you can always find Freeware to do basic editing and frame ripping.

Here's a video on using an HD PVR (Personal Video Recorder) sold on Amazon for $130 (there are a bunch of different models) to record TV for later viewing or for what you want to do. It gets the signal from your TV, your cable box or to a gaming console and hooks up to your computer.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just looked on App. Store and the app is Moment, nothing else. We already have a Comcast Cable Box that has a DVR Recorder built in for recording programs. We also a Roku, hooked up to the back of our tv. At one time, we were getting Netflix, until we found out that most of the movies on Netflix we already have in our DVD library. In March of last year, we found out about the Cowboy Channel, that comes on Roku, so we hooked our Roku back up and paid for a subscription to the Cowboy Channel.

One thing for sure, John, my wife can't, and won't, go without tv and cable. She likes watching shows on HGTV and I like both networks that show old Western tv shows and movies.

In a little while, I'm going to take some photos, with both our Canon PowerShot and my iPhone 12/Moment App.. Now that I know what shutter speed and ISO to use in both. I'll let you know how they turn out, after I put them on the desktop. The pictures and video from the iPhone 12, look great on the phone, but can be very different appearing on the desktop. But, like I just said, now that I know the correct shutter speed and ISO to have on both, I'll see how things turn out.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, John, to let you know what happened last night.............taking pictures of rodeo action that was on our tv. 95% of them didn't come out! Neither on my iPhone12 or the Canon PowerShot Digital. I'll have to mess with the shutter speed and ISO on both the camera and iPhone (Moment). Perhaps both are better at taking "live" pictures at a rodeo, rather than on the tv.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Friday is the day that I write my weekly blog article, for which I am paid, and I have now taken on the additional task of ghost writing a weekly column about the organization for the local newspaper each week, and I think I'll try to kick that out on Fridays too, so that's what I'll be doing.

10. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I salvaged some vegetable crates from my neighbor's trash and took a while to pull the little staples and separate out the panels that made up the sides. They are about 1/8" thick and nicely weathered and I'm thinking they'll look good with some polyurethane and no stain. I'm pressing them to straighten them a bit but if I use them as facing for something they don't have to be completely flat. I know I'll do something with them but don't have any definite ideas yet. Does anyone?
    Panels.jpg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

How about a birdhouse?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. John Brunner

I have a deep fridge and keep a basket of onions and a basket of potatoes on top of it. I cut down one of those crates, attached wheels, and put those baskets on it so I can wheel them to the back for aesthetics and pull them forward for access.

I like old wood like that. I once covered a cheap trunk with white canvas and nailed similar slats to it for effect. I did a slat down each edge and spaced 2 in the middle.

13. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

No, but they'll come in handy, for something, I'm sure.

Tomorrow, I'll set up my new, portable screen house that is replacing the "permanent" one I demoed, a few weeks ago. Then, I'll get up on my roof, rig my old basketball backboard from my big oak, and lower it down from its pole to the driveway, so I can take the bracket off, in preparation for the new backboard that's arriving tomorrow. After that, I'll check on my hot water heater to make sure that the only leak in it was from the drain outlet, which I capped, tonight. I'm feeling that the heater, now about twenty years old, will need to be replaced in the coming months. When I get it outside, I'll tear open the wall behind it because I can see that the hot water outlet pipe is badly corroded, and I'm thinking I'll replace it with Pex line. Copper is good for about sixty years, according to what I've read online, when it is coming directly out of concrete. My house was built sixty-two years ago. I hope the cold water supply line cut-off will work. It's also badly corroded. Oh yeah, I'll also be clearing the weeds against my building to try and find my P&T relief valve outlet. I can't remember exactly where it was from the last time I swapped out my hot water heater.

No rest for the wicked, right?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Dwight Ward

Registered

That's the kind of thing I had in mind. Around here when they tear down an old barn or other outbuilding someone salvages all that weathered lumber and resells it at exorbitant prices.
    I'm thinking of building my brother a storage trunk for his birthday. I think I have enough of the thin paneling to face four sides and the top.It will be a lengthy project because I'll have to glue each piece and keep it pressed to the underlying 1 by until the glue sets. This stuff won't take a nail. Sounds kind of fun, though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Dwight Ward

Registered

Plumbing is not my forte. I just replaced the faucet in one of my bathrooms after spending an hour trying to disassemble the old one thinking I could replace o-rings and washers. The old one was not made to be fixed. Half a day and $60 for parts and that's enough plumbing for me for a year.

Bobby Cole likes this.