Working With What You Have In A Shortage

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I like chocolate ice cream. But the store only had vanilla. So I sprinkled dark baking chocolate powder over it and it taste fantastic. Plus no extra sugar or whatever it is they put into the syrup or ice cream. Hershey's is pure as it gets.

What are some of the things you do to replace ingrediants?

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm finding some shortages of the things I buy like certain granola bars, so I just have to chose a replacement. I shop at Aldi and a local chain, so one of them usually has what the other doesn't but the local chain costs more.

Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

I bet if you really thought about whats in them you could compromise. Hope you find them.

Bobby Cole and Ed Wilson like this.
  4. Marie Mallery

Registered

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As @Don Alaska has been warning us, I think that we are going to have some real shortages on food this year, as well as extremely high prices on what food is available.
    It is possible that we could go into food and gasoline rationing if the prices keep going up and supplies get shorter. In any case, even if we do not have shortages, we are definitely having higher prices, and the more diesel goes up, the more everything else will cost, and the less of it there will be.

I have been working on gradually adding extra food that we eat all of the time that can be stored, but I am thinking that I need to do a more thorough job of it.
    We have a lot of wild edible greens that grow in our yard that I can forage, plus I am growing more in my container gardens. Each year, we have planted more clover, which spreads, so we have a lot of clover in the yard, which we can eat, if need be.

I have been looking at getting some powdered eggs from Augason Farms, just in case. With the bird flu making the rounds again, they will be killing off chickens by the thousands like they do each time they say it happens. The last time, eggs more than doubled, we could only buy 1-2 dozen at a time, and the price for chicken and turkey went up a lot, too.

What other things is everyone here doing to prepare for more shortages ?

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I just heard an economist today predict that the cost of living for the average American family will rise $3,000 to $4,000 over the nest year due to food and fuel increases. Biden is now going to supply Europe with natural gas from the U.S. If the Bozo does allow our production to rise, fueling Europe will come out of our existing gas supplies. I can't even imagine what that will do to the heating and electricity costs here. The administration seems to think we will enjoy the sacrifice. They will have to have some kind of emergency, or the Democrat loss in November will be catastrophic for them.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

And that cocoa powder has lots of health benefits.

Regarding those homemade bars...I used to make my own granola bars. But given the amount of sweetened condensed milk in them, I doubt they were all that healthy...but they were good.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  8. John Brunner

I suspect there will be another wave of a virus, once again necessitating "mail-in ballots" for the election.

9. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The way things are going, it looks like Biden would rather destroy what is left of the dollar and lead us into nuclear war rather than allow the Dems to fall from power. We have apparently begun a sanctions war against China similar to what was done against Russia and both China and the U.S. are moving military forces into position. Biden is waiting for instructions from his handlers on what to do nest. He spoke with reporters on his way to Europe, but he hadn't been given his instructions yet, or had forgotten them, so we will have to wait and see. He also has the Biden family scandal awaiting him, so he wants that off the news as well.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith! Of course I love what you are doing as I have been doing it for years. The Mormons and Dave Ramsey have been instructing to have emergency supplies. The former was recommending a years supply of food. Maybe a little extra to share. I still have a Dodge pickup with a full tank, in the barn, that I can't figure out how to siphon. It is Trump gas but no ethanol so it should be good.
    Having a farm has its perks and having a daughter slave is my best prepping tool.:rolleyes:
    I love foraging. Gibbons' book Stalking the Wild Asparagus is still the best! It is out of print but still out there (at libraries?)
    Cattails are my favorite. Pick and put up the green tops the second week of June here. But they are better fresh. Lots of food out there if you know where to look.

11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I always have at least 4-6 months stored of peanut butter, unsweetened applesauce, 20% protein shakes, canned chili, cheese crackers, potatoes, etc. I am lucky in my location that we have a lot of local wheat, all kinds of vegetables, and fruits during the season. If I was a gourmet cook, I might find these unnecessary food shortages a change in lifestyle, but since cooking isn't that important, I will carry on as usual until I can't replace my stock and run out. With spring coming, I will plant several varieties of tomatoes and garlic. I have friends with good stocks of grain and stone mills. I will do what they did in Spain if things get that bad. Here is an old now departed friend from Spain that explains how they survived in those days. I have tried garlic and tomato, on bread as in this video, and it is really good. My friend playing the guitar passed about a month ago. He was 74. So many are gone now but the knowledge they left from surviving in tough times, may come in handy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Hersheys Simple chocolate is best,, no added sugars and in liquid form . I use it on cakes also.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been giving some thoughts on how to cut down, or cut out certain things. Would help financially , not sure about health wise. Soon as the money comes in for next month will at least big bigger,vs bulk on some things.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  14. John Brunner

The Mormons are the best at prepping. They give classes to folks on how to do it, but I believe that most (all?) of them are out west. The times I've looked, there have never been any near me on the east coast.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

There may be some near you, but if you have to look, they are being private. My wife and her close friend have worked extensively with the Mormons in the past. The Mormons here have a Pick-Your-Own Garden, as well as a stationary and mobile canning kitchen for both wet and dry canning.