World's Capitals

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Silvia Benoit, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Just because someone may not remember that Lisbon is the capital of Portugal or whatever other trivial item comes to mind, does not indicate having an excuse for "not learning." This threat is rather obnoxious in its snobbish manner to lord it over those who may have simply forgotten or whose brain cells are being lost due to age deterioation.

2. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Right you are----Now Serbia Montenegro.

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner Not quite correct Lon. After the breakup of Yugoslavia, the two republics of Serbia and Montenegro formed The Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. From 2003 until 2006 it was called Serbia Montenegro. After declarations of independence by both Serbia and Montenegro in 2006 the country Serbia Montenegro ceased to exist. What once was Yugoslavia is now these six countries - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia (including the regions of Kosovo and Vojvodina) and Slovenia. In 2008 the region Kosovo declared independence from Serbia.This declaration is disputed, 98 of the UN’s 193 member states have recognised Kosovo’s independence.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

"No to remember" means the person KNOWS the info....which is a lot different than "He / she never learned".

5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Why some people oppose learning?

Marie Mallery and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Silvia I owe you an apology for my first post in this thread,one of my 'being jerk days'.

7. Michael Stewart

Michael Stewart Active Member
    Registered

Well I rightly do agree with you.

8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Some people may say they oppose learning, but in fact are not able to do so and this statement hides a multitude of sins. There are many neurological and psychological reasons for not learning, so, yes, this thread definitely borders on being judgemental. The problem with most school teachers is they feel they are imbued with a special ability to obtain and retain knowledge.

9. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Lois
    Lois, I ended my 52 years of teaching in December 2019. Those years included university graduate classes, and fathering master and doctoral degrees, high school, and the last 14 as adjunct prof at the local two year college. When I read: "The problem with most school teachers is,,," I have to wonder how you came to this observation, and to state that I feel somewhat offended.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The cold hard facts are that some people just are not able to learn. IMO, they should be taught skills that will enable them to earn a decent (Not descent) living in life. To try force to knowledge into their brains is a waste of teacher's effort and taxpayer's money.

11. Silvia Benoit

Registered

This tread doesn't border anything......nobody denies the psychological / neurological problems some people have. I, simply, was talking about people who REFUSE to learn and prefer to run to a computer /cell to find and answer. Trust me, as a pedagogue I have seen maaaaaaaaaaany refusing to learn. Ciao.