Would You Be Interested In A One-on-one Debate Forum?

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 6, 2020.

?

Would you be interested in a One-on-One debate forum?

Poll closed Mar 14, 2020.
  1. Yes

53.3%
  2. No

20.0%
  3. Maybe

26.7%
  1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The forum is made up of individuals who are likely to favor one side or another when an issue comes up. As individuals, SENIORSonly Club members and staff are free - and encouraged - to take part in discussions, but I think we've done a pretty good job of not implementing a litmus test for membership in this community. Members who have gotten angry and even left the forum over decisions made here, at the administrative level, have included people who I mostly agreed with on issues under discussion, as well as those I don't. I get upset when discussions are derailed, not over which side someone takes. It would be boring here if we all agreed on everything.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, I can see where the emphasis on the word “following” rather than being included might hamper things a bit.
    I can imagine the PM’s going crazy with readers asking a debater to say this or ask that. I mean, it would be tempting would it not?
    Of course, I would NEVER do such a thing. No sir, not me (because Yvonne would probably hide my keyboard from me)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Exactly. There are discussions here that I am interested in but don't participate in because I don't know enough about the topic to contribute anything worthwhile. There are also discussions that I am pleased to see here, although I have no personal interest, because others are interested in it.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In essence, a trial run of the topic is already being peacefully debated.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the more "vocal" members here are in pretty much lockstep agreement about most important things. So I don't see how there can be many topics of debate. But I don't have much of an imagination.

It would be interesting to read, if it were limited to only two people, or at least an equal number on each "side" if you can find more than one pair. And no interruptions until it's over.

Apparently I voted "yes" a long time ago, but would not participate. I don't think fast enough.

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The beauty of "debating" in this format means you do not have to think on your feet. Either party might take a day or two to respond...it wouldn't be timed or anything. This format provides time to do some research. The "rules" I was thinking of are more along the line of conduct: sticking to the matter at hand, prohibiting personal attacks, things like that. That way debating/persuading skills are not all that important, and we might get some more informative discussions out of it. I'd rather think of it as a clean, free exchange between two people without any distractions, rather than it being some Win/Lose contest.

I've read threads where I'd like to probe a topic deeper with a member, but know that it's impossible to do so in an open thread. In lots of those cases, it would be less of a debate than it would be a one-on-one uninterrupted conversation where others could eavesdrop and maybe carry some points over to another open thread.

7. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Would a chat section be allowed or is there one and I've not found it.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

We can send Private Conversations back & forth, Julia. Click on the word "Inbox" on the top banner, in between "Your Name" and "Alerts."

I'll send you one so you can see what it is like.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

There is not a chat function on this forum, Julia. The closest thing would be the private messaging/conversations , as John Brunner mentioned. What Ken was talking about was a special area of the forum which would be visible for everyone (registered) to see, but only the people in the debate would participate in the posts.
    What often happens in any forum thread, but especially in heated topics, is that the whole thread gets thrown off topic and the discussion part ends. If there was a designated place for this kind of discussion then it would be less likely to go off topic.
    Even for other topics than political, this could be beneficial sometimes.

John Nopales likes this.
  10. Julia Curtis

Julia Curtis Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thank you Yvonne.I appreciate your patience:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Personally, I don't ever use private conversations. I've had a couple here send me PM but I politely ask them to keep it in public forum.
    Reason is about 15 years ago, somebody got angry and said I said all kinds of things in PM which I didn't and couldn't defend myself because we didn't know how to pull up my comments.
    So I gave my son my log in info and he pulled them up and proved the person was lying on me. Ever since I see no reason to use PM. I will PM Mods or Ken if I have a question about forum but never a complaint about others here.
    Debates is not for some of us. Instead of asking or giving an opinion, most will just ignore, or use 'likes' to let you know they don't agree.
    I think it is rude to not say what's on your mind or why you're ignoring or giving likes above and below your post to show they are upset with you.
    So it makes me wonder if I even want to give likes to most people.
    Its like, 'ok I'm not mad now, so lets start liking each other again'.
    in other words, we like each other when they say we do. Not the same as being forgiving, just taking control.
    But it is just human nature for us to disagree.
    So, I think we do pretty good putting up with each other's bad days. I have no problem with anyone here and think site basically has some good people.
    Hope I didn't offend anyone,:p

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Yes.

13. Marie Mallery

Registered

Basically, we already have that here, as does most sites, since few members will even reply much less debate. Unless its what they had for supper or shopping.
    If they disagree, they just pick up their marbles and go home.
    Then we have the 'cliques' as most sites do of course, but this being low member site it affects us more.
    Newcomers are often ignored and so they leave.
    I don't mind talking to myself as much as some do, that's why it looks like a Marie Mallory board at times with my name on most forum post.:D
    Ken you and I have had heated debate and imo we did good, no hard Feelings. Thats not possible with most people today, maybe its the times and too much negative news?:(

Celia Jenkins and John Nopales like this.
  14. Marie Mallery

Registered

Guilty, I do try to pay more attention lately though.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Just for myself, I'm not really interested in debating anyone. I'll read what others have to say; I may respond or reply. But debating? Arguments? Not for me.

But it's okay with me if others want to do so.

John Nopales and Marie Mallery like this.