Would You Go Back to School?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Mal Campbell, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Fran Jensen

Fran Jensen Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right, Jorge, you never stop learning, even if you are not aware of it. Would I go back to school? Not a brick & mortar, and since I'm of retirement age, there's no percentage for me to. How I wish wish wish I could have had the money when I was younger! How I wish I could have known that the entire universe was open just for me....
    Now, because of these forums, I have discovered that there are free university classes, probably not programs, but the classes, are available. And even tho I still have a full time job, I will try to make time to check it out and keep everyone here informed on what I find. Sound like a plan, Stan?

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Fran, I have a T-shirt that says, "The truly educated never graduate."
    The younger students didn't get it, but most of my teachers did.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been really leaning towards going back to school online. So far my job search has presented me with lots of work at home opportunities but I'm just shy of one specific requirement that is needed in medical billing. I am hesitant because I would have to retake everything I already know - again - just for that one specific requirement. As I am writing this I'm thinking that my knowledge and experience will be to my advantage. Hmmm

4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

We'd love to hear what you have to say. To me, experience is the best teacher, and that's the nice thing about being older, we have lots of experience!!

I, too, found it difficult at first to post things - I'm incredibly shy and I always wondered who in the world would want to listen to what I say. But then I found that people responded and it gave me the courage and boost I needed. Now, I'm having fun.

5. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

How true!! I feel like I've been stuck in that vortex my whole adult life - I either had lots of money or lots of time, but never both at the same time. So things like education and travel were always out of the question. When I could afford it, I couldn't find the time. Now that I'm an empty-nester with nothing but time, we're on a fixed income so I can't afford it. :(

I keep thinking that one of these days, I'll hit the jackpot and get both at the same time. Until then, I'll just keep dreaming.

6. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I do believed in the importance of continuing education but when you have a family and your schooling would take you away from your growing children, if I be given again that choice, I would choose my family. When I took a graduate course in library and information science, my youngest was in grade one, and in a place where i could be home during semester break only. That was for three long years where i could visit them twice a year. Looking back now, i may have gained knowledge and a few steps of rank promotion, but no amount of career promotion could ever compensate for a mother's absence in a family.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Even though I would never, ever want to go back to school again; I DO want to continue learning about things that i have an interest in. Since I am not looking for something that will help out in the job market anymore; I can read and study about things that i have always had an interest in.
    I try to read and study online or from a book, every day. Sometimes, I watch videos and documentaries about interesting topics.
    To me, this makes a lot more sense than taking a course where you are only taught what the instructor wants to teach you, and not actually open your mind to study things as deeply as you would like to do.
    Even if you want to take a course, then there are places like iTunes University, where you can pick a subject and learn about it.
    I think that if you make use of the time (or money) that you do have, that you can find ways to continue your education, even if going to a regular college is not a possibility.

8. Walter Smith

Walter Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I know that feeling Yvonne because sometimes school can be exhausting, but at the same time, not having kids to raise does leave a void that can be filled with studying and going back to school. So yes, it's something I am considering, but that hasn't happened yet.

9. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Definitely, I always enjoy learning something new, and I'd really like to have the amount of friends I've had back then, especially back in high school. It's funny, when I think about it, I hated being in school back then, but I regretted finishing school immediately afterwards. I guess it's true what they say, you only value something after you have lost it.