Writing Articles For Seniors Only Club

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So far, only a couple of people have expressed interest, though.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken, my interests do not go in this direction, but I wish you Good Luck!

3. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

This might be something I'd be interested in. I have done some professional writing in the past. Have any of you submitted articles yet? I am just curious as to if this section has started up now? I will be in touch if/when I am ready to know more. Thank you for the opportunity.

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Not yet. So far, you're only the third person to express an interest, and there are no articles so far. I don't want to start this new section if there isn't much interest because I don't want it to include only stuff that I write myself.

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

How would you want us to submit them to you? What would the approximate payment be for a 750 word article? Were you planning to just create a section here for the articles? I didn't know you were ready to start accepting them. I will start one tomorrow if you want it. I think it would be fun.

6. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

I would also like to know what an approximate price would be. I appreciate that you said it could differ, and I wouldn't hold you to whatever average you said here, but it would be nice to know a ballpark figure.

7. Ken Anderson

Read my first three posts, which is where I cover that stuff, specifically in the third post but the first two are important also.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Since I have never written anything for publication, most of the questions that are being asked here, and being discussed by the knowledgeable people on the forum, are things that I do not know anything about.
    Copyrights, and such as that.
    I realize that the writing of these articles is something that you would want to have done by the members of the forum (like @Mari North or @Krissttina Isobe ) who are published writers, and have experience writing articles, but it kind of sounded like just some of our old-time stories might be welcome also.
    Some of the stories I have written about earlier times on my life are also on my little family blog; so i don't know if those would be acceptable or not ? The blog is just my way of putting down some of the family history in stories, and it is not monetized in any way.
    Are you also looking for stories like some of us write here in the forum, or just for articles from the published and experienced writers, for this new feature ?

Von Jones likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I am absolutely not just looking for published authors or professional writers and, although I may have some specific topics in mind, my hope was that those who choose to participate would go beyond that and suggest topics that they have an interest in writing. Old-time stories are definitely within the realm of things that I am looking for,

There is no reason why several people from this forum wouldn't be capable of writing articles that would be suitable.

Topics that you discuss in your blog may certainly be used, but the article would have to differ significantly from anything that you have published elsewhere or it will be seen as duplicate content by the search engines. That would mean more than a simple rewording of something you have published in your blog. Several stories can erupt from any significant event in out lives so as long as you're telling a different story, that would be fine.

I have seen stories here that could have been the theme of an article but, of course, I wouldn't want to duplicate anything that's already in the forum. Again, topics and events can be reused, as long as the story itself isn't duplicated.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

This might work. I have heard from a few others and am looking forward to receiving the first article soon. There is still room for more though.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I think a published article can serve as sample to be a source of inspiration. When I first joined forums, what I did was to read the posts in order to learn how and what to write. With this article thing, I think it is also applicable especially those who are not writers like me will be inspired and try to write. I'm actually halfway in one article for this purpose but I yet have to gain a headway for lack of motivation perhaps. But surely when I see a published article here then I would be able to finish that and probably write more.

12. Ken Anderson

Okay, I have a couple of articles in and at least a couple others that are supposedly in progress, so I am starting to put that section of the site together, although I am going to want more before I actually link it from the rest of the site or promote it. I'm looking for a title for that page. I don't want to use "articles" because too many low-rate article directories have diminished the value of that word. Instead, I am looking for something with two words combined with an ampersand, since that would match the style of most of the sub-forums here. My working title is "Commentary & Discourse" but I am open to other suggestions.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Looking through some of the topics you wanted, I like the word "memoirs" as one choice but haven't thought of another word.

To me Commentary sounds like an opinion on something that was discussed.

I would enjoy reading people's memoirs, in fact that's my favorite non fiction category. I like personal stories and they could be sad, happy, traumatic, inspiring, whatever.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

"Memoirs & Discourse" or "Discourse & Memoirs" doesn't roll off the tongue very easily though.

15. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, it doesn't. Too bad, because memoirs always catches my eye and it's a favorite genre with many.

But it's what you think or like, I'll just be reading...if they're memoirs. :)