Ww2

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Lon Tanner, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting facts about WW2

He makes many post about this.

2. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

And this..

3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I've become more interested in this war than any other. I guess it's because I was a child during its time. After having been in Europe 10 years after the war ended, I was still able to see the real ravages of what war can do to countries. Not all had reconstruction as yet and it raised many questions in my mind. I hoped and prayed it would never happen again, but it seems that humans simply cannot stand peace.

Tom Galty likes this.
  4. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Another interesting post which I knew nothing about.

We had German air fighters defending us

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Unfortunately, this video, as many others, is kind of misleading.
    When it is about "Operation Barbarossa" as is stated, and , thus, not about attacking Moscow, then it is not correct to say that "The German armies concentrated on three main objectives" and then just mention three major cities. The main aim of "Operation Barbarossa" was not plainly "Stalin's Soviet Union" but the genocide and ethnic cleansing of vast areas of the Soviet Union in a war of extermination based on racial ideology as Hitler had laid down in his concoction My Fight. That ought to be made clear because such a type of war it was a first in history.

So, the aim of the video rather is to describe the initial military operations of the Wehrmacht only. Nothing else is shown in the video. And even that is not correct due to some important omissions: The main objective of Army Group South, in which my uncle fought, was not conquering Kiev. This was just an intermediate target on their way to the Caucasus aiming at supporting Army Group Center in particular by binding Soviet forces on the way to Moscow. The chief goal of Army Group South from the beginning was to conquer the Baku oilfields because Hitler knew he needed them for logistical reasons.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Tom Galty likes this.
  7. Lois Winters

Registered

General Marshall was FDR's right hand man in D.C. and he helped FDR immensely in making military decisions. Eisenhower received the kudos, however. The Yanks despised Montgomery. Sadly, at the near end of WWII, FDR was very frail and Churchill and Eisenhower were really calling the shots about how to partition the East from the West. It really was not ethically their decision to make, but they gave into the whining of Stalin and let him have Poland. Fearless fighters the Poles were and even taught the RAF and Yanks how to conduct a real effective air combat mission, yet they were snubbed at war's end in the U.K. I've read countless books about these people and their resilience. Surprisingly, they had a Constitution second only the U.S.A. at the time WWII began and we did not keep our promise to have their back against Hitler's incursion.

8. Lois Winters

Registered

The Brits dreaded the sound of that V2 rocket and rightfully so.

9. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

The V2s made no sound...It was a V1 AKA the dougle bug that made the noise.

Do remember in the summer of 44 sitting with my Grandfather in the garden . they used to come over in three lines to the right and to the left which we ignored and straight, if the straight ones engine stopped we got into the air raid sheelter in our garden.

One did land about half a mile away from his house but most carried on to London.

The V2s you knew nothing about till they exploded