Yogurt

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A friend sent us yogurt starter some years ago, so I went ahead and made yogurt.

Well ... yes ... the best I can say is that it tasted like sour feet. A real, er, acquired taste, although I don't think I could ever acquire it.

Store-bought yogurt has a lot of sugar and other ingredients to make a delicious concoction — but it truly is yummy. And I love the thick, Greek-style yogurt.

2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I use to make yogurt all the time. I got lazy about it over the years. I would make it with whole milk, half and half, and a container of plain whole fat yogurt. It was good. I would add my own fruit or shaved chocolate, honey, cinnamon, and sometimes I would eat it plain.

I buy Siggi's whole yogurt, Fage whole milk yogurt, and Stonyfield whole milk yogurt. I like the Greek style and I do not like low fat or fat free yogurts. Ick.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I think I'm going to make some that is entirely half and half, or maybe half and half with 1 cup of heavy cream. :D I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine. Did you add non-fat dry milk to yours, Krys?

I agree about the fat free/low fat stuff, and I can't stand any artificial sweetener.

Krystal Shay likes this.
  5. Jenna Parnellson

Jenna Parnellson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My take on artificial sweeteners is that, for the most part, they either aren't good for you or don't taste good. For me, I'd rather just eat the sugar (but less of it) ... maybe it's not good for me but at least it tastes good.

To be honest, though, I pretty much stay away from sugar as well. {sigh}

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Krystal Shay

Registered

Nope. No powdered milk. Just whole milk, half and half, and a container of plain yogurt. I think using entirely half and half with cream would be good!:)

Kate Ellery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Kate Ellery

Registered

Same here @Jenna Parnellson we usually buy sugar once a year when it’s getting close to fruit ripening season

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My old instructions that came with my yogurt maker said to add 1/4 cup of non-fat dry milk to the recipe. I haven't used it in so long that I don't remember whether I did or not.

I'll try the half-and-half and heavy cream tomorrow; my machine makes a quart of yogurt. I'll report back. :D

Krystal Shay likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just remembered that my Instant Pot has a yogurt function. Hmmmmm. I need to go find my user manual to see how that works. Has anyone made yogurt in an IP?

10. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’ve also heard of making yoghurt in those easi yo containers and I tried it with mixed success but I never got what you’d call firm or tasty yoghurt

Fill container with long life milk ( inner container that comes with the easi yo
    add a table spoon of powdered milk
    2 tablespoons of easy yo powdered yoghurt maker ..

Shake well and put in easy yo or warm place for 24 hours

Wow the prices have increased for this product ..it used to be about $3.00

IMG_6409.jpeg

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't like the unflavored yogurts because--as @Jenna Parnellson said--they tastes like feet. I buy the fruit stuff every once in a while, but it's nothing more than jam added to unflavored yogurt. Even the vanilla no-fruit yogurt has as much sugar as real Bryers vanilla ice cream...it just has less fat.

Regarding Greek yogurt...

Real Greek yogurt starts with plain yogurt, then the whey is drained off. That makes it thicker, and it is more expensive because you lose a significant volume of the yogurt you started with. Real Greek yogurt contains more protein than regular yogurt (because it's concentrated), but you lose the anti-carcinogens that are found in the whey, so it's a trade-off. You can make real Greek yogurt at home by putting plain yogurt into cheesecloth, tying the top closed, and suspending it over a bowl with a skewer or such through the top to catch the whey...or you can set it in cheesecloth in a strainer over the bowl rather than suspending it. There may be uses for the whey you collect...I forget.

Greek style yogurt is merely regular yogurt with thickeners (corn starch) added.

12. Krystal Shay

Registered

After my yogurt set up, I always strained it through cheese cloth to get it the thickness I liked. I don't like runny yogurt. :D

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yeah, most people who make yogurt know that straining it makes Greek yogurt. I prefer regular yogurt most of the time, depending on the texture. You should "cultivate" a liking for yogurt; it's an easy way to get probiotics. :D

When I dragged out my old yogurt machine I found a box with the gizmo to make yogurt cheese. That is a step beyond Greek yogurt and has a bit of salt added. It's a sub for cream cheese. Maybe I'll make some of that, too. :cool:

John Brunner and Krystal Shay like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

And, yummy!!

Homemade Tzatziki
    • 1 cup plain yogurt
    • Cucumber peeled and finely diced (enough for 1 cup)
    • 1 Tbsp olive oil
    • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
    • 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
    • 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
    • 1 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
    • 1/2 tsp salt, to taste

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  15. Kate Ellery

Registered

If we want milk …..we will drink milk…so I’m the same ….nice thick yoghurt not runny milky stuff @Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay likes this.