Yogurt

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have one if these , I used to make fermented veggies ( they upset my gut )

I’ve also used it to make yoghurt in about a 1 Ltr size glass jar that fits nicely in the machine ( I ovoid heating anything in plastic )so used Ball mason jar

I think it’s got a timer and it’s quite compact , only as round as a bread and butter plate

But like I mentioned yesterday with the cost of making yoghurt it’s actually cheaper for me to buy
    https://www.victoriasbasement.com.a...kmAgJ84k98gdrt5vlkU4FTLDkUkBMFIRoCPUkQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    Beth Gallagher and John Brunner like this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Pic of the above item ^^^

IMG_6413.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yesterday I decided to try one more yogurt experiment, this time using 3 cups of heavy cream, 1 cup of half-and-half, and 3 tablespoons of yogurt "starter" which was yogurt I made last time. I heated the cream and half-and-half to 185°F in a pot, then cooled it down to 105°. Stirred in the yogurt starter, and poured into 2 sterilized pint jars; put lids on. Fermented in 110°F oven for 6 hours.

This batch is VERY creamy and tasty. I should have checked it hourly starting at 4 hours but I actually forgot about it. :eek: I don't see much improvement over the first recipe (3C half-and-half plus 1 cup cream). Also, the calories in this are HIGH (340 cal in 1/2 cup serving, plus 96 mg of potassium).