Your First School?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Holly Saunders, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don’t think that we had any school even close to that name in Sandpoint. Pat McManus was a few years older than me, so I didn’t know him while growing up. They lived further out Boyer Street (where my school was) and out at Sand Creek; so it is possible that Lincoln school would have been the closest grade school to where he lived .
    There was only one Jr. and Sr. High school, so he probably went to the same ones as I did, and “Delmore Blight” might have referred to Charles Stidwell, who was the formidable principal at the Jr. high school.
    Since I rode horseback in most of the same area where Pat had his famous camping trips, as well as the awful road crossing Sand Creek where he always crashed his bike; I could at least guess where most of his stories took place.

I actually didn’t even know about Pat McManus until 1988, when I broke my leg (bucked off of a horse) and was stuck in the hospital for over a week. I wanted something to read, but they had me on so many painkillers that I could barely see pictures, let alone read anything.
    My friend, Joy (Bless her heart) brought me her 10-translation version of the Bible, and there was NO way, i could manage that in my condition.
    I complained to my other friend , Norma, and she brought me down one of her husband’s Pat McManus books.
    I laughed so much, I nearly rolled out of the hospital bed more than once !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That would be Mellen Township Elementary School in Wallace, Michigan. I remember it well since elementary school went through the 8th grade then. Mine was the first class to attend that school all the way through since they had just moved from the one-room-schoolhouse to the newly built consolidated school when I started kindergarten. As far as I know, it's still standing but it's no longer a school. They cut it down to a K-6th-grade school, then to a K-4th-grade school, then closed it. A Few years later, someone bought it and I think I heard it was a factory of some sort now.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Our elementary school was so crowded we only went half days in the first and second grades. I don't think we were taught much more than colors, shapes and maybe letters/numbers in the first grade (no kindergarten available). A little reading in the second grade but as I was dyslexic (not recognized back then.....you just "weren't trying hard enough").

I entered third grade way behind on the reading. About half-way through the first semester, I distinctly remember something "snapping" in my brain (some sort of synapsis finally clicking) and BAM! I UNDERSTOOD!!! I vividly remember looking down at the page one day and IT MADE SENSE!

By the end of the year, I was reading on a high school freshman level and by the end of fourth grade, I was testing out at a college freshman level. Thus started my keeping my nose in a book.

Hooray for brains that heal themselves!

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My first school was Carmalt....Kindergarten and first grade.

2nd grade we moved to Chicago for a year and I went to Our Lady of Mercy.

3rd and 4th grade we moved back to Pittsburgh and I went to another Catholic School...Resurrection.

5th, 6th, and 7th I went to West Liberty in Pittsburgh

8th grade I went to Brookline...Pittsburgh

All 4 years of High school I went to South Hills High School...Pittsburgh

Then dropped out of the University of Pittsburgh my first year.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Omg....I looked up my school and there was a picture of me and my class...oh my I could not belive it.Thats me..second row at the top..behind boy with stripped shirt.

Attached Files:

• th.jpeg
      th.jpeg
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  6. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

It isn't just still standing -I walk past it every day and until recently was our polling station so I have been back in it many times.
    You just gave me an idea for a question...

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

awww that's a lovely picture Gloria... very pretty blonde curls... I bet you were delighted to see it after all these years

I hated having my photo taken they always turned out so terribly back then, so after the first one, I deliberately stayed off school on photo taking days...

Bobby Cole and Sir Walter Pasty like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My first school was Madison elementary school on Wheeling Island, which I attended from 1941 until we left W.Va. for California in 1944.

The school is the large light-colored square near the bridge on the right-hand river bank.

I remember it had 4-story silo-like structure on the side of the building which was its Fire Escape!

You stepped into it and slid down spirally to the ground!

Here's a photo of Wheeling Island, a residential section of mainland Wheeling, West Virginia, which lies across the wide portion of the Ohio River.
    Across the narrow right-hand portion of the Ohio River is the town of Bridgeport, Ohio.

We lived on the Ohio side of the island, right on the river bank!

Hal
    fe0d3d997a4670ea3a115794a71c5ff3.jpg

9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My first school would have been Kindergarten in Newark, New Jersey which I don't remember, but the first grade I do and that was PS 13 in Paterson, New Jersey.

10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

First school would have been in San Diego, CA.

2nd grade was in Charleston, South Carolina.
    3rd grade was in Norfolk, Virginia.
    4th grade was in Panama City, Florida

etc.

No Moss growing on this kid...

11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

2nd grade to 6th grade PS 13 Paterson New Jersey. finished 6th & 7th grade in Littleton, Colorado. 8th thru 9th at Westlake Junior High, Oakland, California. 10th thru 12th grade at Oakland Technical High, Oakland, Ca.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  12. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

To finish things out, 9th grade was at two different high schools in Hawaii.

10th and 11th were at the same high school.

The summer between my junior and senior year, we moved
    to Long Beach, CA and I started my senior year there.
    Around December, we moved back to Hawaii and I got to graduate with
    my friends at my old school in June.

If anyone remembers a movie that came out in 1969 called,
    " If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium ", then you might understand
    my education adventure...

13. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My other half attended 11 schools in 12 years......3 schools in one year alone. His father was career military and was transferred for duty to different hospitals frequently. I can't even imagine what that was like, moving and changing schools constantly.

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's exactly what I didn't want for my own child . I was a Naval wife, and for the first 4 years of my daughter's life we moved from Quarter to quarter in different counties... and having always been the newbie in schools as a child and knowing what that felt like , I wasn't about to let that happen to my daughter , so I was determined to get our own home back in our own town, albeit that my ex was still in the navy before she started school, so she could always have continuity. Thanks goodness I managed it, and she started school at 4 and a half, and had continuity and the same friends all the way through the school system.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Holly Saunders

Registered

@Tim Burr ...
    The summer between my junior and senior year, we moved
    to Long Beach, CA and I started my senior year there.
    Around December, we moved back to Hawaii and I got to graduate with
    my friends at my old school in June.

..and half the world is swooning with jealousy at that statement... sounds like heaven, graduating in Hawaii :D

Bobby Cole likes this.