Your High School Daze

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I suppose there were different types of people in our high school too, but we didn't have names for the cliques. You didn't have to be on the football or basketball team in order to date a cheerleader, although I suppose that helped. I didn't feel uncomfortable around any of the kids who played sports, at least not for that reason, and I think they tended to hang out together mostly because so much of their time was taken up with practices and games. There were people who I considered losers, but there were probably others who thought that I was a loser. Probably, the only group that I didn't see much of were the ones that I considered the "Ag students." They were the ones who took Plant and Animal Science instead of Biology, and a lower-level math class rather than Algebra, and so on. They were the 4-H and FFA members and, although some of them also played sports, I rarely saw them because we were never in any of the same classes. My cousins, who were my friends in elementary school, were in that group, so we didn't see one another often after we started high school. They weren't stupid; they just knew they didn't want to go to college.

2. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I was very much involved in the AG and FFA classes I had horses which all the time people were wanting to go riding, I weeded out those whom were just wishing to use me for this and for the most part settled with one, we rode, shot, fished, camped, hunted and showed animals together many years.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Don't misunderstand. I wish I had taken some of the Ag classes but that wasn't where I was at that time. We had twenty-one horses at one time and I hardly paid any attention to them, except that I had to feed them in the morning.

4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

There seems to be a fair number of introverts among forumites. I'm also one of them.:)

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I was the class clown and very popular until my mother died when I was in 9th grade. After that, I withdrew and kept busy doing other things. I dated very little until the head of the high school drill team (flags and all that) pursued me and persuaded me to emerge from my shell. We dated until the end of sophomore year in college, when we went our separate ways, but we are still friends and correspond at Christmas. We are very different people now, but both married for more than 4 decades to the same person. However, I have six children and she has only cats.

6. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Going to a boarding school during your formative years can do that to you. I guess I am still rather introvert.. certainly not extrovert.

Don Alaska and Thomas Stearn like this.