Your Mom's Best / Worst Meals

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Boris Boddenov, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hated liver. LOVED liverwurst. Go figure.

2. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Mine, too. Everything was fried in a dollop of bacon grease from that cannister. I wonder how old the grease was at the bottom of the can..... Nobody ever got food poisoning from it.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My Mom was a good cook it was just me not liking some of the things that she cooked. If I didn't like the smell or the way it looked I didn't want to eat it and every opportunity I could get 'out the kitchen window it went.'

[​IMG]

4. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My mom was from the Ukraine, and I always loved it when she made Pirogis and "Pigs in Blankets".

Frank Sanoica and John Brunner like this.
  5. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

My mother never made a meal that I didn't love.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@John Brunner

According to my Dad, a calf ceases to be a calf and is considered a cow when it begins eating grass. The very best liver is calves' liver, before the animal has eaten other than milk. Both were always available at our numerous Czech butcher shops, calves' liver being much more expensive. My mother made the most wonderful calves' liver and gravy, smothered with onions, why, even @Ken Anderson would have enjoyed it!

Aside from all that, liver is one of the most nutritionally-perfect foods in reality, 'ceptin' for it's high cholesterol content.

Frank

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Beth Gallagher

My mother made tripe soup. In recent years, I've learned the Mexican dish Menudo is actually tripe soup. It was tasty, fairly thick, and the tripe itself very rubbery requiring much chewing.

Frank

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Hal Pollner

"PIEROGIS", the Polish word, are similar to Czech dumplings except the dough is rolled thin, and they are usually filled with sauerkraut or a mix of meat. Wonderful eatin'!

Frank

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't recall when I last saw calves' liver in the stores. I just looked online and see a bunch of recipes for it. And Omaha Steaks sells it. So I guess it's still around. I agree that it's the perfect food...and it's so cheap (excepting Omaha Steaks.) Are they even sure any more about the effects of dietary cholesterol? It sounds like some Asian thing, where you take on the characteristics of the thing you eat.

As an aside: Decades ago I got a copy of one of those flyers that reverse-engineered fast foods: Wendy's chili, KFC chicken, etc. One of the items was the White Castle (or Little Tavern) belly bomb burger. The secret ingredient is liver!! Those little burgers you "Buy by the bag" are 20% liver!!! I've made them. It's true. And they are so very good.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Have you ever had Pho? They use what is referred to as "bible tripe" in their soups.

It's to die for.