Drowning In Spain

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Patsy Faye, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I always try and put myself in another's shoes
    If it were me - I would be in total shock, certainly unable to answer questions coherently
    As I said earlier, it could have been the panic and shock of the Father and son trying to help her, coupled with
    as Faye says, the cold water (if it were cold) This is the main problem for me, big companies will do their best to
    dodge blame, seen it time and again. We may never know - all I do know is the family should take no blame here
    The Mother must think, as I do - how can 3 people be dead in these circumstances

Bess Barber and Tom Galty like this.
  2. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Seems to me they put the extraction pump on at full blast.

And the police are covering up.

Time will tell or NOT

Patsy Faye likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to wonder what possible reason the police would have to cover up?? That doesn't make sense to me.

4. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Tom Galty and why would they do that? Think about it! What kind of suction would it take to pull a small child the distance of that pool? There is no report of them draining the pool and any circulation would be the same as it is always. One report says a diver claims to have found the kid's bathing cap in the drain. How did that cap come off? None of all this speculation makes any sense. The facts are that the outside temperature was 56 degrees with the night being lower. This pool is unheated. What do you think the water temperature was? People go to Costa del Sol in December because it has an average DAYTIME temperature of 59 degrees and LOTS of SUN. Lying in a poolside chair at 56 degrees with the sun warming you, is one thing, but jumping in a pool that is less than 70 degrees is dangerous. One can slowly work their way in and tolerate it for several minutes at 65 degrees, but this pool was 60 degrees at best. Remember this wasn't the Carribean, but Southern Spain, Costa del Sol or Coast of the Sun, and the winters are cool and tourists, especially from the UK go for the SUN. They don't go there to swim unless they are wearing a thermal wet suit.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Holly Saunders Since you have more knowledge of resorts in Spain than perhaps the rest of us do, what are your thoughts?
    Do the hotels tend to be responsible and law enforcement reliable?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have absolutely no idea about hotels Bess, I own a second home in Spain, and my daughter lives in a different part of Spain in her own home, and whenever we travel to another part of Spain we'll rent a villa or apartment, I've truly never stayed in any hotel in Spain in the 20 years since we first bought a home there..

However as you say I do have great knowledge of Spanish resorts, and therefore see a lot of hotels, and the places we visit the hotels all seem responsible and abide by the tourism rules and regs..

Incidentally I know that particular hotel where the tragedy occurred, very well, although I've never stayed there,, and aside from being only 30 minutes from my daughters' home I simply wouldn't stay there even if it was further away because it;s geared up for families , but it's not just a hotel, it's more of a holiday village right next to the beach , and it always looks very nice from the outside when we pass which can be sometimes as a dozen times when we're out there, and it's always very busy .. I've never heard any tourists complain about it ...

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

I read somewhere that another guest staying at the resort, said that while the family were being hauled out of the pool, the mother was telling everyone that none of them could swim.

I'll go and find out if my daughter or any of my friends who live close by the resort know anything more yet .

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Holly Saunders

Registered

No it seem there's no updates yet in the Spanish press, enquiries are still ongoing!!!

Tom Galty and Bess Barber like this.
  10. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

Thanks!! @Holly Saunders I thought you would probably have more insight as to what goes on over there than we do. If it happened in Mexico or South America, I would question the integrity of the hotel. I don't really put Spain in that same category. I think it's possible the little girl fell in and her family drowned while trying to save her because none of them could swim. The mother, in great grief, is confused and is possibly being urged by some attorney to blame the hotel.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

I think you may be right Bess, sadly, but of course if the resort is responsible in any way this must be uncovered.

This is the actual pool in the resort where the 3 family members died...

[​IMG]

This is the Press statement on the resort website.

https://www.clcworld.com/press-statement/

Bess Barber likes this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

“Naturally we have heard the comments made on behalf of Mrs Diya in a widely publicised statement to the media.

The claims made in that statement are directly at odds with the findings of the police report. This makes it clear that their exhaustive investigations have confirmed the pool was working normally and there was no malfunction of any kind.

The police report containing full findings has been passed to us and also made public by the police as PDF attached, with the unofficial translation below. We would emphasise that these are findings of the police investigation and not our own internal findings as has been wrongly reported by some media.

CLC can confirm that the pool remains closed out of respect to the victims of this tragedy and that guests have been, and are being, directed to other pools.

Our sympathies remain with the family at what we understand must be a stressful and desperately upsetting time for them.”

I think this is a very good statement and really doesn't leave me questioning the culpability of the hotel.
    Thanks @Holly Saunders !!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

Just discovered that it was the 14 year old sister of the dead children and daughter of the drowned man who made the statement about none of them being able to swim...

quote''...
    She revealed that the pair had had some swimming lessons but only in the shallow end of swimming pools back in London, where the family are based.

Meanwhile the father and brother, who died while trying to rescue comfort, were never taught how to swim.

According to the sister, when she saw Comfort (the 9 year old) drowning she screamed for help, attracting their brother, who arrived first and threw himself in to try and reach her.

When he reached the deep end, he also began to have problems.

The father then arrived to the edge of the pool and began to take off his trousers to throw himself into the water.

It was then the sister ran to look for a lifeguard.''

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That pool doesn't even look very big to me. Good heavens.