Drowning In Spain

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Patsy Faye, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

The pool opened not long after the tragedy and the resort were 'told' to close it off
    For those that don't believe in corruption must have heads in the sand, far easier to blame the victims
    Well I won't do that as corruption is rife and its shameful to consider the Mother in this way
    I'm glad I'm not in her shoes :(
    No one on this forum is an 'expert' either in this case

Tom Galty likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Patsy Faye You are right! All we have is what is in the news. The only info I have other than the news is from friends in Malaga that have relatives in Costa del Sol. They say the first report was the older daughter saw the 9 year old bending down at the deep end, splashing water with her hands. She slipped and fell in. The older daughter yelled and the father and brother jumped in. The water was cold and by the time the trained staff at the resort responded, it was too late. Cold water kills within minutes if one isn't experienced how to survive in it. The staff was trained and able to get them out fast. The driver that later went in to investigate was wearing a WETSUIT.

One report I read this morning, that has since disappeared, was claiming the resort was racist and purposely increased the suction to suck her down. It was so strong it even sucked her rather large father down. All this is NON SCIENTIFIC and total fabrication. My questions that no one has answered is, did the resort or police take the water temperature? It is a matter of record that the outside air temperature was 56 degrees F. Was the pool heated in any way? Were any of the victims wearing swimming suits? What is the drain diameter and power of the extraction pump? How many litters is that pool? What is the length of the pool?

Before we assume that the resort operators had the power to suddenly increase the suction power to draw a 9 year old girl from the shallow end where she entered using a ladder, we must have these facts. If she did enter the shallow end and then slipped, she would have sucked in water and gone under and it would take several minutes before the circulation would draw her to the far end. This means no one was watching her. Every story so far is very conflicting. The older daughters don't align with the mothers and they both keep changing their story if the news we read is correct.

Having survived a few tragic situations and watching others die, I can tell you from first-hand experience that your mind may imagine things differently than they happened. This accounts for the mother and daughter changing their story. I don't fault them at all or judge them, my heart goes out to them. They may never know what really happened. I would hope they both will undergo clinical hypnosis by a doctor so they can know what really happened. They may suffer PTSD for the rest of their lives. It still amazes me that only a couple of news article report the water was cold. None reported what the outside temperature was. I got that from the weather channel.

I think it is shameful that this tragedy is being turned into a conspiracy, intentional negligence, or maybe a paranormal event by the news media in order to make more money. Coldwater drowning happens frequently and don't draw much reader attention. No one outside of family and friends would have given this story much thought. When we embellish it with a force drawing the little girl from the shallow end of the pool to the deep end as the other daughter and mother watch in horror, now that gets worldwide attention and translates into big profits for the news media. There is not one shred of scientific evidence that this powerful suction existed. Something that powerful would have made waves and a vortex would have been seen at the drain. Anything but an unfortunate COLD WATER drowning due to muscles seizing and breathing slowed or stopped is just pure science fiction.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of the articles that I read said that the father stopped to take off his trousers before jumping into the pool, so he must not have been dressed in swimming attire.
    It does seem like this story is being told differently each time something else comes out about what happened, and it is surprising that a pool drowning is making such international headlines, when it is not that uncommon of an occurrence. I agree with @Faye Fox about it being played up by the news media.

If the girl wasn’t dressed for swimming, she would not have been wearing a bathing cap, and I can’t imagine how it would have gotten off of her head unless a family member pulled it off in trying to rescue her. If she didn’t know how to swim, she would have been staying at the shallow end, and if it was that cold, probably would not have waded into the water at all.
    The theory that she was splashing the pool and fell in at the deep end seems reasonable to me, and explains a lot of the questions.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Faye Fox - thanks for your response but I have to say I'm tired of all the theories being thrown out there
    I won't believe the papers, that's why I don't bother with them and like I said earlier, the Mother being traumatised will also
    be confused, I certainly would be - she needs counselling not multiple questions.
    All the questions you ask above - should be asked, by the right people to the right people
    A fault or negligence with the 'suction power' could be the reason, it certainly fits with the Mothers account.
    At this time - until I know better, I believe this is a cover up hoping enough doubt will prevail in the Resorts favour
    I've seen too many documentaries on the subject to think differently.

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Just heard on the news, the police have closed the case
    Also that the Father and son were just over 6 feet tall - the pool is 6 and a half feet depth
    The other daughter tried to find a lifeguard while 'cleaners' watched (they couldn't swim)
    The time of this event was 2pm so I doubt the water was cold

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

It isn't, yet killed three people

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Patsy--once swimming pool water has gotten cold, it takes days to warm back up unless a pool heater is used. Most large public pools are not heated because the cost is prohibitive. When our back yard pool cools down in the fall, it stays icy cold even if daytime temps are in the 80s. The large volume of water does not warm quickly.

That said, none of us knows what happened to that poor family so we can only surmise, based on what little information is available. Very sad indeed.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep - if that cold, a foot in the water will tell you that if she climbed down the pool ladder
    CCTV throughout - but not operational for this event

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I saw that report, too, Yvonne. My first thought was, who stops to remove their pants when their little daughter is drowning?? I'm surprised there are no safety flotation devices around a public pool. Even in our back yard pool area we have a couple of those "ring buoy" things to throw if someone gets into trouble in the deep. Heck, even the long pole for the pool net could be held out for someone to grab onto, then pull them to safety.

ETA--after looking at Holly's attached photos of the pool, I see a RED flotation ring right there by the pool.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

One added and important info - 2 valuable eye witnesses were 'not' questioned by Police
    They have since flown home - hopefully the lawyer will ensure they are heard as this could put an end to it

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

I will leave the thread - thanks all for the views

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Here is the link directly to the resort's site and scroll down to read the official police report based on the eyewitness's original statements. I still can find no information if the pool was heated but friends tell me some resorts use massive solar heaters and the water may have been as warm as 70. If three family members were in the water at the shallow end as the official report says, then they no doubt didn't have much body in the water and could tolerate the cool water. The smallest of them was the one that started walking toward the deep end. The one sister was out of the pool and the tall brother took after the little girl when she disappeared. The mother and father were sunbathing and saw nothing until the one sister yelled. The father then jumped in the deep end. No one was swimming in the pool. They all may have known how to swim somewhat but didn't have the skills necessary for rescue. This is what the police are saying, they lacked the swimming skills to survive in 6 1/2 feet of water while looking for the girl. I see no reason the doctors doing the autopsies would be in cahoots with the resort and police to coverup for a negligent resort. Why the 9-year-old girl decided to walk out to deeper water will never be known. It will trouble the mother for the rest of her life. I hope the engineers she hires will put her mind to ease that no way could any of the pool equipment or the resort been at fault. Sometimes children do foolish things.

https://www.clcworld.com/press-statement/

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

errm haven't you read any of my posts @Faye Fox . My daughter lives very close to that holiday village, as do my friends, and other family members.. I've already given a link to the Holiday village website and the press comments.. we know the place very well indeed..

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Incidentally Faye... on the 24th of December the outside temps in Fuengirola was actually 71 deg F... it was mentioned in the media because it was the warmest Christmas eve in several years.. :)

Faye Fox likes this.
  15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Patsy Faye You have a very kind and thoughtful heart which is obvious in so many of your posts. I'm sorry if I gave an opinion which upset you. I try not to be critical and usually fall far short.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.