Drowning In Spain

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Patsy Faye, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

It seems to me that any resort would have surveillance cameras in public areas at all times. There are just too many possible liabilities to not have the grounds covered with video cameras.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Really! The weather channel says 56 degrees F. Thanks for that info. What would you think the water temperature was? Are their pools solar heated? What was the night temperature? I still cannot imagine how it could be the resorts fault. I read your post but must have missed the one with the link. Keep us informed of what further investigation reveals.

3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Interesting facts

10 AM it was 46 degrees F
    11 AM it was 52 degrees F
    2 PM it was 72 degrees F

Within a 3 hour time the temperature
    rose 20 degrees. It had been below 55
    degrees F since midnight and started to rise
    quickly and in a 3 hour time. Maybe a paranormal
    expert could explain how this may have caused a
    vortex in the pool with the sudden warming.

The mother final story and the one her lawyer
    is claiming to be fact is that the 9 year old girl and
    the 15 year old brother were at the shallow end of the pool
    when an unseen force drew them both to the CENTER of'
    the pool where they both disappeared. The father then entered
    the pool at the shallow end using the ladder. He attempted to
    reach them but was drawn under by an unseen force. The mother
    says the 9 year old DID NOT SLIP or fall. She was drawn under as she
    was pulled forward upright. No pool circulation pump could even begin to
    have this power. The paranormal has always interested me and maybe some
    of you with more study than me can explain how a vortex could suddenly happen
    and then just disappear and in just one place in a fairly shallow pool because of sudden
    rising air temperature to a more constant water temperature differential.

The only possible explanation for this is a vortex, but when
    helped arrived minutes later it was gone. Since the center of
    the pool was 6 1/2 feet at the deep end, then we must realize it
    was less than that at the center where the mother says they went under.

I am still puzzled as to what the resort is covering up. If they had an equipment
    malfunction they would fix it fast and pay the mother quickly to protect their reputation.
    If it was a paranormal occurrence like the Bermuda Triangle, then it was very short and
    no way the resort could have known or prevented this. In any case, the water was cold and
    it makes sense to me that the shock of the water probably 60 degrees at best to the air temp.
    at 72, clearly tells us the story. Their muscles seized and breathing was slowed and they sucked
    in water and died quickly.

Tom Galty likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

'Pay the Mother fast' ! That statement sums up a certain mentality I avoid
    I left this thread alone yesterday - should have done so today
    As none of the points I've raised have been addressed and the focus has been 'tabloid mentality' I ask that the thread be
    ignored - case closed. Don't tag me please, I don't want to see this thread again.

5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Pool facts. It is 10 X 15 meters and the deepest point is in the CENTER and is 2 meters deep. I can find no info on the depth at the shallow end, but this pool has a rapid decline. From shallow to deep in just 7.5 meters! There is still no information released on the water temperature. Also no info on the drain diameter or power of the extraction pump.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Typical American pools have 3' depth in the shallow end. As I said earlier, that appears to be a rather small-ish pool for a public facility. I wonder if we'll ever know what actually happened with the absence of video cameras and with conflicting accounts. Just a tragedy for that family.

Tom Galty and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

As a former swimmer and windsurfer, I find interest in this story, because it can help many to understand what causes drownings. Swimming and water survival can be two different things. There are many lessons in this story that can save lives, but only if we can see the facts and understand the heartbreaking grief of the mother. Two things generally happen to survivors in sudden unexpected tragedies, accidents where loved ones are lost. 1. We blame ourselves. 2. We blame others. Seldom do we except the fact it was an accident and assigning blame doesn't help anyone. The surviving daughter's own statement to the police tells the story. It will save lives if people will listen and understand the dangers of water, especially cold water. Know your pool or swimming area or be with someone that does know it. Read the warning signs! If you plan on getting in water over your knees, take a water survival course. Swimming and water survival are very different. Being a good swimmer and having water rescue training are also two different things. Let's use this tragedy to help prevent others. I hope the mother and daughter can find peace.

Here are important statements the surviving older daughter made to the police. All these statements are in total agreement with the pool's design, dimensions, and the police investigation. I hope the mother will find peace and realize this was an unfortunate accident. This pool was designed for swimming, not walking or wading. The resort had many other pools more suited for wading and playing. The rapid decline was what caused the slipping and neither the brother or father had swimming rescue skills and no knowledge of cold water causing muscle contractions and breathing difficulties. Her statements:

Favour said she “got scared” as she slid into deeper water and struggled to get out as her brother tried to help Comfort who was also in trouble.

“My sister and I had swimming lessons at school and had swum on occasions in a pool but it wasn't normal because we didn't often go on holiday.”

“We've normally been in pools where the water starts off being shallow and gets deeper with the deep end being the part furthest from the area where you get in.”

“We weren't aware that the deepest part of the pool was the bit in the middle and my brother and sister went towards that part.”

“I realized I was out of my depth soon after I got into the water. I got scared and only managed to get out of the water with some effort because I'm not used to swimming in places where the water is deep and I can't stand up.”

“As I was trying to get out I heard my brother shouting for help and saw my sister was under the water and my brother was struggling to keep his head above water.”

“My father who was not in the water quickly took his trousers off and jumped into the water to help my brother and sister.”

Asked whether her dad knew how to swim, Favour told police: 'I don't know. My dad travels a lot and we have never swum together.'

Asked again why her sister was in the deepest part of the pool after she confessed she had never swum in a part of any pool where she wasn't out of her depth. “We never thought the deepest part of the pool was in the middle and the slope in the pool made her slide towards the middle and that was the reason my sister was there and the reason why I ended up slipping towards that area.”

She told police she was able to get out in time because she had got in last and was nearer pool steps.

She admitted she could not remember any strange noises and described the water as 'cold.”