Meeting Physical Challenges As We Age

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Well hell, I should of known this to is political:)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, they couldn’t kill us off with polio so they’re trying politics. :)

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart
    Yep, the very same crook!
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been having a lot of knee pain for a while now.

I've not watched this entire video, but a week or so ago, I sat on the edge of my porch and gently moved my legs back and forth, and it helped for the rest of the day.
    I didn't and wouldn't use weights weighing more than a pound. Seems it could do more damage.

I've had arthritic knee pain in the past, and after several weeks, it stopped, except for on stairs, bicycling, or after digging large holes for plants.

I had the crackling in the knees, but until this time, never had the "stiffness" described with arthritic knee pain. The stiffness (so far, right knee only) really interferes with walking and I have to make myself bend that knee when I walk.

I used very cold wet cloths several times, but not lately. At first, that seemed to help.
    Also massaged knees with coconut oil or grape seed oil. They itched really bad the first few times with both types of oil.

I'll try the moist warm cloth this week and hopefully go outside and do the exercise in the video again.
    I would do the exercise on the side of the table every day if it could be done inside.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Emma Smith
    Since I, too, have new-found knee pain interfering with our long walks, I thank you for this info! I am thus far not using pain killers, and our riverwalks have become miserable, but needed.
    Frank

Emma Smith likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have found that most of the skeletal problems I have had stem from another existing or even past problem in a different part of my structure.
    Yeah, I have had the cortisone shots in my knees and a chiropractor work on my back and it just seemed that it was an age thing and the status quo so going with the flow was the actual prescription for the day.
    But then I noticed that with the “favoring” of a problematic area I was also developing painful areas at another location. I’m sure everyone has noticed the same thing and even a physical therapist or your next door neighbor will make the same observation. It’s just one of those things that we all notice but do very little about.

The one big problem I noticed about myself is that I needed to teach myself how to walk again. Huh? Yeah, I thought that I was injuring myself by over lifting or lifting improperly at the gym which, is probably right because I was favoring certain parts because they hurt but I wasn’t paying attention to the root of that “favoring”. I was walking totally different than the way I was taught to do which affected my ankles, then the knees, the hips, back and neck which also gave me headaches. It’s progressive or at least in my case it is.

When I started paying attention to the way I walk and went back to “gliding” rather than flat footed loping, a whole lot of problems went away. At one point, I was having problems loading the leg sled with less than a hundred pounds because with anything more than 90, everything hurt, especially my knees and low back. There were times when I even avoided working my legs which was actually the worse thing I could do but let’s face it, none of us are a big fan of pain and I for one, do try to avoid pain. Muscle aches I can deal with but the pain one feels when something is deeply wrong is another thing entirely but that said, even light lifting would have been better than nothing at all.

Long story short, with one simple but lengthy correction, my normal sled workout now starts with 230 lbs and will end up somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 lbs with 10 reps. Of course, anything over 450 - 500 I employ knee wraps but still, that’s a big difference from where I was at just a few months ago.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Sometimes my knees bother me when that happens I use Aspercreme even the Walmart brand helps.
    Something I do know affects our all over body structure...shoes and the insoles can make or break you.It is the fit that counts not the price- but shoes that cost more are often better quality.
    Big purses! Women who carry big heavy purses can really throw the body out of alinment. Carry smaller bag and only what you need. Over stuffed billfolds..men clean it out and make sure your not sitting on it.
    Keys..wads of keys carried in pockets can throw you off .In purses makes them heavier to carry.
    Most of you probably know all that , but added as a remainder:).
    And yes, Bobby most us need to learn how to walk again. Myself also and am trying to straighten up and walk better.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

So far I have been spared any significant aches and pains, thank goodness. I believe that one thing that has helped my relative fitness level is that all the bedrooms in our home are upstairs, so I go up/down the stairs about 20 times a day according to my Fitbit.

I have worried about aging in place because of the stairs so I suppose at some point we'll have to either move or get one of those stair-lift things. We paid off our mortgage over 10 years ago and neither of us wants to move from this house, so at some point considerations will need to be made.

I also make an effort to maintain a healthy weight which I believe helps significantly with joint problems and general fitness.

9. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

The knee pain has been the same for a long time. It's been warm for a few days, then much cooler. Seems worse during the cooler days.

I bought Aspercreme and tried that. It didn't help.

Tonight I had 2 slices of canned pineapple and the juice from the small can.
    My knees feel fine. They may be worse again tomorrow, but right now no limping (hate the limping) and no pain.

Also had ginger, turmeric, evoo and coconut oil, and a salad with romaine, raw garlic, purple onions, purple cabbage, etc.
    Those are supposed to help with arthritis, so they may be the reason for the improvement.

I've been trying different remedies. Almost every day, I have a turmeric drink with almond milk, black pepper and coconut oil (supposedly helps the turmeric work better), cinnamon, ginger,cardamom, cayenne, nutmeg, Stevia and vanilla. It tastes really good and has an immediate relaxing effect.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

For some reason I ached all over ladt night. Took some Aleve...always my ladt resort. Woke up fine this morning. Who knows:cool:

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

A lot of people think they can continue on with their strenuous activity regardless of the aging slowdown imposed on them by nature.

Well they CANT!

Howl

12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

This ain't 20 years ago, Lon!
    Hal

13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't I know it. It ain't even five years ago Hal

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can appreciate what you are saying , @Lon Tanner , and it does seem like we lose a little at a time as we get older. I think that it helps a lot that you were so active , even in your “younger-older years”, and did all of those activities for as long as you were able to do so.
    Having had similar heart problems as you have also had, I can relate to not being able to have the energy to do the things we once did.
    I used to have horses, and went riding for hours at a time, camping, hiking , fishing, and all of the work that living in the country and having to deal with livestock (and snow!) entails.
    I am glad to read that you are still doing everything that you can do to keep yourself healthy, and that is exactly what Bobby and I do as well.
    Just keep pushing the limits, whatever they may be, for as long as you can.

Holly Saunders likes this.