A Look At The Second Amendment

Discussion in 'Constitution & Bill of Rights' started by James Hintze, May 25, 2022.

1. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Here's a thought about the treasured second amendment The critical words: “... the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed “ My question here is, 'What is the exact definition of “ARMS?” How far would I get if I went to one of the Arms manufacturer and stated: “I am here to buy your surface to air mistle, and your anti tank weapon. Since I need only one of each, I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount more than our military pays per individual for each purchase of a number.”

How far would I get?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are laws already in place which prevent “most” civilians from purchasing military grade weapons but there is this…..
    https://militarymachine.com/military-tanks-for-sale/

Now, so far as having the ability to buy a SAM, it is my understanding that in a technical sense you can purchase one but who would sell it to you and how would you go about getting the FAA to give you permission to launch it?

Besides, if you’re handy with tools, there are instructions all over the place on how to build whatever you want.
    The North Vietnamese used to use our scraps to build mortar tubes and rocket launchers.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    Cody Fousnaugh and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Since one of the basic reasons why the Constitution allows civilians to keep and bear arms is to keep the government at bay. If the government somehow rises up against the people then we the people have some way to defend ourselves and defeat those who would wish to take power.

That said, in a speech given by Joe Biden, he warned the American people that the government has missiles and bombs which we as civilians do not have access,
    Logic would have it that if the government has big stuff then civilians should have the ability to have the big stuff too to in order to be competitive with the government but looking at the way some civilians act, I wouldn’t even want that dog to hunt.

Can you imagine someone like Soros having access to nuclear weapons?

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I believe that the Founders intended us to be able to possess the same weapons the government has, but, of course, they couldn't imagine nuclear weapons and such. Biden also made the statement, "You can't just go out and buy a cannon, can you?" The answer is YES, you can go out and buy a cannon, as long as it is not auto loading. Several people up here own cannons and fire them to celebrate the 4th and New Years. A number of people also own machine guns, with permits, of course.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think our constitution has done well, since before ratification it is about 275 years, today it is the most dangerous world our country has ever experienced. All our problems here at home are caused by the elected idiots on the left who have a mission. They simply want us to do exactly what we are doing now, slowing chipping away at our most valuable tool, the constitution. If you want to protect America and yourself get out and vote and don't stop until all these non American leftist are gone. If they make a mistake and try to start a war within then take them down and make sure they don't get back up. Any object can be used as a weapon to take someone's life, a gun is bearing all the blame for no reason but because it enables the death of many in one instance. I have listened to this garbage for over 52 years and each time some zombie goes out and kills someone the first thing that happens is another scumbag wannabe politician jumps up on the podium and start blaming the constitution. It is ironic they all place their hand on a bible and take an oath to follow that document and the very next day that scumbag is working behind the scenes to dissect it until it no longer applies. Our worst enemies are politicians who have been allowed to do what ever they like, without any chance of being impeached or removed. I am sick of listening to the same scumbags everyday doing what they do best...........nothing ! I look forward to the midterms to get an estimate of just how far we've gone over the edge or how far we have progressed since this halfwit biden was dragged in while he was medicated and when he woke up they told him to do what I say. I can only imagine what a great time our foreign enemies abroad are all having watching us slowly kill ourselves electing fools such as we do.

6. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The reason I posted this screed is to suggest that we could outlaw the citizen possession of military type weapons such as the AR whatever rifles without doing too much damage to the constitution.

Nancy Hart and Cody Fousnaugh like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

If you are referring to the AR-15, it’s just a single pull, single shot light weight fancy looking magazine loading rifle and nothing more.
    There are a lot bigger and better hunting rifles out there that can do a lot more damage but the AR-15 just happens to be lighter and has a price tag that most hunters can afford.

But don’t worry, from what I have seen and heard there are a lot of Democrat congresspeople who don’t know the difference either. The reason I say Democrats is because they’re the ones who keep harping about them ergo they’re the only ones that I can say for sure that they don’t know what they’re talking about.

Matter of fact, one outspoken Congresswoman (D) confused a military M-60 machine gun with an AR-15. Funny thing though, the basic 60 weighs 26 lbs (unloaded) and uses a 7.62 cal whilst the AR uses a 5.56 and weighs 6.5 lbs. and they definitely do NOT look alike.

Mary Stetler, Don Alaska and Faye Fox like this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know, but do know this..............when wife and I lived here in Colorado before, we attended a gun show in Denver. Very surprising to us, there was an actual grenade launcher for sale.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Why the surprise? Launchers are legal as are empty grenades. A launcher is no danger to anyone.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It was just the sight of it!! If a person's neighbor seen a launcher in somebodies garage or someone drove by, I'd guarantee local law enforcement would be called. Then again, you'd be the one to say "it's none of your damn business what's in my garage. Just what are you doing looking in my garage anyway?". Well, if the garage door is open, there are those that might drive by, or walk by, and take a quick look. Just how many people walk or drive and looks straight ahead all of the time?

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, because busybodies like to mind everyone's business except their own.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not necessarily true, Beth. People in America are allowed to look and report things that are unusual. In fact, law enforcement are always telling people to "look out for unusual things and people" and report if seeing anything. There have been crimes stopped, before they could happen, by so-called "busybodies" keeping their eyes/ears open.

Guess that's why me and small towns get along so well. I'm not afraid at all of people knowing my business. Have absolutely nothing to hide.

13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Frankly speaking, if anyone including the cops saw a grenade or rocket launcher on our property they’d probably want to buy it or simply say that Bobby is making something AWESOME !

That said, If I saw a brownish guy with a beard and wearing a robe and a turbine pulling a little red wagon with a rocket launcher in it I might be a tad suspicious.

Besides, it isn’t the grenade Launcher that goes boom……it’s the grenade.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It suddenly occurred to me that people are calling for the banning of high capacity ammunition CLIPS. I guess that is okay by me, as I haven't seen a clip in many years except on old military rifles. People who don't know what they are talking about use clips and magazine terms interchangeably, just as they use "assaults weapon" (which really is undefined) and "assault rifle" (which is defined) as the same. Putting a pistol grip on a 10-22 makes it a de facto "assault weapon" under many of the definitions proposed by the uninformed. I think I have and old stripper clip for a Springfield 30-06 rifle that my father once had, which I do not own. If that is banned, I could turn that in without an issue as I do not own the rifle and clips are difficult to use, even with training. Also, I don't think high-capacity, at least over eight rounds, have ever existed. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, ok. But, there are plenty of officers that would most definitely question you. How are they to know, right off, why you have it? They have no idea why you would have it. They could even tell you that your neighbors are very uncomfortable knowing you have it. Doesn't have to do a thing, but there would be those curious folks that would wonder.