United States Constitution - Democracy Or Republic?

Discussion in 'Constitution & Bill of Rights' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

This can also be said of some baby boomers today.Products of the 60-70s univerity's. Lots of social networks will form cliques where group think is the name of the game. Then it is human nature to want to be a part of the tribe. Being shunned is no fun.

2. Marie Mallery

Registered

This is true too. I see up close and personal. I plan to talk to a sheriff and commishioner Tuesday but what good it will do is very quaestionable.

I read years ago a comment on C.S.Lewis I think it was that all Republics end in a Democratic system and fall in bloodshed. Well this one will probably not fall in war but in dictatorship. Either way we all lose in the long run.Once the libs and oligarchs help destroy this nation wonder where they think they will go? The oligarchs may have a place for awhile but not long. They may realize people will only 'eat cake 'for so long. Cake being the burnt crust on bottom of the pan,not bakers cake.

France 1800s quote from one like we are being ruled over by today,we have ignored our laws far too long by both sides of our leadership,imo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Registered

I wasn't aware of this always learning ,Ken,
    For example, the Congregational Church was the official religion of Maine, and all Maine residents paid taxes to support the Congregational Church, regardless of whether they were themselves members. At one time, a Baptist preacher could be jailed for preaching in the state of Maine. After the laws were relaxed somewhat, other denominations were made legal but their members nevertheless paid a tax to the Congregational Church, much as

I coped this from your post.

4. James Hintze

James Hintze Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I agree. I hung it up end of December 19 after 52 years of teaching, last 15 as a part time adjunct at the local college; freshman English composition. I enjoyed classes when students argued about different issues. I don't believe the old meme about profs brainwashing students holds much.

5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Not all professors are that way but they do silence the ones who aren't .I know I have been in class with them plus dealt with them for years aat medical universities. This is just been in last couple generations not always. Its not the fault of the professors we parents should have kept a better eye on DOE and our leaders.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"The experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived." -- John Quincy Adams

"Democracies have been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death." -- James Madison

"Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos." -- John Marshall

"It has been observed that a pure democracy, if it were practicable, would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies in which the people themselves deliberated never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Democracy is four wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Ambrose Bierce

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." -- Winston Churchill

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

"Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people." -- Oscar Wilde

Marie Mallery and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Exactly why the Founders did not want the United States to be a democracy!

Marie Mallery and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Lots of quotes from wise men.:cool: