Working With What You Have In A Shortage

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 12, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've seen classes where they teach dehydrating, and give instructions (and assistance) with putting things up in mylar bags.

I just went on the web and looked...there is a Mormon church in my county. Funny, I've been in that part of the county many times and never noticed it. I'll have to pay attention next time. The link goes to an overall Mormon website that is not location-specific, so there's no calendar of events.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Mormons are everywhere; my mother was Mormon. I have a ton of Mormon relatives in south Georgia, and scattered around Texas, too.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A worldwide shortage of aluminum is working its way though the system, as much of the world's aluminum is smelted in Eastern Europe. There is also projected to be a temporary shortage of some potato products as there was some inventory issue in the Northwest, and potatoes had to be shipped up from California to cover the issue. Stock up on foil and any potato products you may need in the short term.

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Closest ones to us are a couple hundred miles away which is too bad because we would buy from them.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have actually been prepping since the 80's. I was reading a mormon writer, then, and he recommended a one year store of supplies in case of any emergency. Rotation was advised to keep things 'fresh'. I even have a seed safe form years ago and the seeds are still viable so I just bought another.
    The first covid was helpful in indicating the few things that I lacked in my stockpile. I could have stayed snug in my hidey hole if I needed to and if there were forced quarantines like in China. I could have helped some of my neighbors.
    There are laws, however, where the gov't can come in a take whatever you have. That makes me a little sad.

6. Marie Mallery

Registered

We figure about a months worth is good for us. If it got bad those who didn't prepare will kill to take from those who did. I don't know really just do what we can.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

If I remember correctly, one of the food processing plants that was destroyed/damaged recently was one that had to do with potatoes, and I also just read about one burning down recently in Ireland, which will also affect a lot of people in that area.
    We have had way too many plants be destroyed, and even two were hit by airplanes (for heaven’s sake !) , to add to all of the other shortages we are now having.
    https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...-processing-plants-blowing-up-lately-n1591921

The baby formula one seems really strange to me.
    Apparently, Biden is sending our supply to the border for the illegals who are coming in down there, but our shelves are empty of formula. They are saying that people are having to take their babies to the hospital due to lack of infant formula.

Two things seem strange to me, well actually three things seem strange.
    First, people have been feeding babies for thousands of years without having to buy baby formula. Besides mother’s milk, goat’s milk works fine, and back when my kids were little, everyone used canned evaporated milk with a little warm water and a spoon of Karo syrup, and babies did just fine without having Similac, or whatever other kind they make nowadays.

Second, why do they need to send formula to the border, and if they do, what have all of those mother’s been feeding their babies until they got to the US where we could provide them with baby formula ?
    They supposedly march cross country for hundreds of miles, and I have not seen even one that looked like they were packing baby formula.

And the third one is about Bill Gates.
    He buys up US farmland, we now have grain and vegetable shortages. He develops fake meat, and now the price of meat has skyrocketed due to lack of livestock feed, so people are being encouraged to eat the fake meat.
    Now, he has developed a fake baby formula, and suddenly, the whole country has no more infant formula .
    This whole thing smells fishy to me ! !

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

this is not really a shortage, but- the microwave went out at the apt. It comes with the apt and is very old. Cooking the other day i realized had no way to quickly heat up my fiber filled tortilla . Placed the tortilla on lid of the crock pot..bingo, warmed to perfection;). I call that "making do" .

9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Don't forget:
    -the manufactured virus that cause a deadly pandemic
    -the "we just redefined what a vaccine is so take the questionable shot" (unless you're an illegal alien in which case you get a pass)
    -the pending "food shortage"
    -the western states being told to prepare for rolling blackouts...so if they thought they were gonna stock up their freezers, think again. (I imagine we'll all get hit in a similar manner.)

Regarding the "new" baby formula: I cannot imagine what that's designed to do. And it's got nothing to do with making money.

Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Mary Stetler

Registered

The thing about the baby formula and a lot of other things, no one knows how to do anything any more nor do they have common sense or deductive reasoning. Google can't teach that.
    I actually could do without paper diapers, at least for babies, and mother's of old knew what to do.
    The rest of the stuff in the headlines--To build back better, first, we need to destroy and break down.
    I am still working on staying warm in next the winter. Gotta go get some anti freeze for the pipes.

Don Alaska and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. Marie Mallery

Registered

So true, todays mothers are spoiled. Although it was our generation who spoiled them.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

So let me get it right.

A major baby formula company (Abbott) closes it’s doors because of a formula recall due to a potential contamination problem.
    Okay, they apparently controlled around 40% of the market in the U.S. but there are 3 other major corporations in the United States that produce baby formula: Mead Johnson, Nestle and Perrio which is a generic company that produces 2 formulas.

It would seem that once Abbott shut down that the other three companies would gladly be able to step up production to cover the shortage but nope, we’re shipping in formula from Germany.
    Just a question here: The Biden administration says that part of the shortage is due to in country shipping problems but there’s no problem shipping from and distributing from Germany?

Now, here’s another part that I can’t really wrap my head around.
    Because of some very strict FDA regulations, only 2% of the U.S. formula market is covered by foreign countries but because our own 3 companies aren’t covering the gap we’re expecting a foreign company to pick up that 40% of the American market previously held by Abbott?
    Note this too. Prior to now, EU products weren’t vetted by the FDA therefore weren’t approved by the FDA but now those restrictions have been lifted because of an American shortage and the Fed has now approved them?

And lastly, another question. If they needed baby formula so badly at the border, why not ship that stuff from Germany and leave our present production companies alone to keep the United States in stock?
    And…..since Nestle has a major production plant south of the border, why aren’t they providing the pallets of the stuff at the border instead of the U.S.?

Nope. I can’t get it right because there is nothing right about the whole debacle. Seems to me that there are way too many thumbs in the pie that can’t be accounted for by using some very basic logic.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Registered

It is easy to understand. It is the Biden administration.
    Remember the order he pulled out of Afghanistan? The billions he is giving to Ukraine while our farmers don't have money for gas and fertilizer to plant 40% of the crops this year? Taking us from energy independence to not ready for green time players? The untold amounts of money going to the millions coming through the border but not to the border patrol? There was even an assasination attempt on Bush by an Arab who came through the Mexican border....

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

Oh, I forgot the playing up the mass shootings saying we should not pander to 'lobbyists' when that is all the government does; they just want to get around the NRA, instead of insisting on finding out why and how to stop these school shootings. There have always been indications. What about offering rewards, to start with and reinforcing school properties with metal detectors?

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There is so much about what is going on that cannot be attributed to mere incompetence. It has to be deliberate. Not even the Biden Administration could screw up so many things at the same time accidentally.