For Our Guests

Discussion in 'Comments on Forum' started by Hedi Mitchell, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Never.

Lois Winters and John Brunner like this.
  2. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A lot of people, hundreds of thousands, look for unimportant stuff daily and find it on thousands of forums and on tens of thousands of web pages.

Take a question like "How to prove the pandemic is all based on profits and deception" ?

On web pages and forums this information is fairly easy to find.

Only one in a thousand men might look for it though. The others don't care for the truth, do they ?

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I wasn’t sure if Shirley was jesting or not until you asked your question.

If you pose a question like, “where is the framistadt on the widget I just bought” the search engine will lead you to one or many available sites with the possible answer. If perchance the answer is on say, the Widget Forum and you pick that site, it will lead you directly to wherever on the forum the answer is and then yes, normally you can peruse the entire forum from there.

Whatever thread you click on from there is counted as a view and you are listed as a guest.
    If you wish to test it, note a thread then log out. Type the thread name in a search and it should come up in the search as a Seniors OnlyClub thread. Click on the thread and it takes you right to it and you are now counted as a guest and one view.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Search engine activity shows up as robots, but when someone (a real person although not a registered member of the forum) clicks on a search engine result that leads to a page of the forum, they show up as guests. Most won't join the forum, but some do.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

So do Search Engines and Guests both increment the Number of Views in a thread?

It doesn't really matter, but Bobby's post got me wondering. The answer might not be knowable.

6. Ken Anderson

I don't believe that robot access does, but I am not certain.

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

If a guest doesn't join the forum is it because they tried but they can't? Some have had a problem registering I remember in the past and for myself, I have to log in every time using FF but not Chrome. That was not always the case.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

There's often (when checked) more robots visiting a webpage or site than members or guest humans.
    Current Robot Visitors Copied Unformatted. >>
    (about 5 minutes ago)
    Current Visitors

This is a list of all visitors currently browsing SENIORSonly CLUB.

1. Bing[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Knowing More About A Product Than Salesperson Does, 2 minutes ago
    2. Yandex[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Ever Have One Of Those Days, 5 minutes ago
    3. Bing[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Fed Up With The System, 5 minutes ago
    4. Bing[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Bob Saget Dies At 65, 7 minutes ago
    5. Bing[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Has The Virus Changed Your Lifestyle?, 8 minutes ago
    6. Facebook[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Police In Ottawa May Be Un Troops, 8 minutes ago
    7. Facebook[/paste:font]
    8. Facebook[/paste:font]
    9. Bing[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Can I Handle A Smart Phone?, 10 minutes ago
    10. Bing[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Do You Use Any Old Fashioned Slang Or Phrases?, 10 minutes ago
    11. Bing[/paste:font]
      Viewing unknown page, 11 minutes ago
    12. Google[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Did President Eisenhower Meet With Aliens In 1954?, 13 minutes ago
    13. Google[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Sitting In A Hot Seat., 13 minutes ago
    14. Google[/paste:font]
      Viewing thread Things You Dislike, 21 minutes ago

9. John Brunner

That's interesting. I've mentioned before that I have not found a way to automatically log into any website with FireFox other than to download an app and record the login keystrokes for each website...it later will automatically replay those keystrokes. But FF itself will only retain the credentials and fill in the LogIn fields, but I always have to go through the login process. I've not tried Chrome (nor do I think I will.)

Ed Wilson likes this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you log out when you exit SoC? I can close my browser and reopen it, navigate to SoC and be logged in on Firefox. It does not "log me in;" it just never logs me OUT.

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. John Brunner

Every evening I close my browser and close the laptop lid, putting it in "Sleep Mode." Firefox clears History, Cookies and Site Data when I close it, but I have an Exception to this set up for SOC (and for all my other routinely viewed websites.) These are set to ALLOW, not just ALLOW FOR SESSION. I have to log in to my laptop every morning when I Wake it, and I have to log in to all my websites as well, even though Exceptions for History/Cookie/Site Data are set for them.

There is one odd exception. I use a website called https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/ that's my TV Guide. It always automatically logs me in. I don't know how it does this...there is no Profile setting to Automatically Log In...there's just the Change Password option. And it's not set up any differently in Firefox. I know that the website does not recognize my IP Address because I switch between 2 different Verizon MiFi units at mid-month, each with their own IP Address (turning off the one not in use), AND when I restart them a new IP is dynamically assigned. Anyway, thought I would throw that out there.

I'm surprised that your FF keeps you logged in. There is an Add On script capture/playback to have FF log you in to your websites, but even that is not automatic. The script opens the website and logs you in, but you have to manually run it for each website (unless there's a way to chain the scripts together.) It's kinda worthless considering that FF automatically populates the Name/Password fields. I think the script writer has different primary uses, and they wrote about this use for the non-programmer types.

I'm running 97.0.1 (64-bit)

12. Ken Anderson

If anyone places a link to a page on the forum in a Facebook post, we'll immediately see five or six Facebook robots here, probably looking to see if there's a reason to ban links to the forum.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't delete cookies, history or site data when I exit FF. I seldom reboot my laptop, either... maybe once every couple of weeks.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. John Brunner

I wondered if the "Delete Cookies and Site Data" setting might be the problem, even though I have Exceptions set up for this site and for others.

And as you know, I'm not really rebooting my laptop. When I Wake it, the Windows LogIn screen comes up and the Desktop immediately appears when I log in. I only reboot mine when I have a Win10 upgrade to install or when something goofy happens, like the audio stops working.

I could mess around with the FF "Delete On Close" settings, but it's not really that big of a deal, since most of my passwords (except banking & financial stuff) are saved in Firefox, so logging in is not that big of a deal. It does bother me a tiny bit that the Exceptions feature might not be working as designed...or there's something else amiss.

15. John Brunner

Okay, I just unchecked the Delete Cookies and Site Data box and the Clear History box and restarted FF. Everything loaded already logged in.

I'm gonna see if it survives the overnight WIN 10 Sleep/Wake cycle, then change it back, just for security purposes. I don't want a bunch of cookies on my browser.

Beth Gallagher likes this.